Friday 10 August 2012

Red Hot Wok (Cupertino)


This is a taiwanese restaurant. I would give 2 stars for the food, and 4 stars for the shaved ice.
We walked in and the waiters/waitresses were friendly enough. We ordered the three cup chicken, garlic kang kong, fruit fried rice, hot plate beancurd, and the inn spare ribs. The food took forever to come, and they forgot our fried rice order until we asked them for it for the 4th time (45 min after sitting down). They were super apologetic the entire meal, but unfortunately good service cannot make my stomach happy with the small portions that didn't carry enough flavor. The only thing I really liked was the kang kong, but you can't really go wrong with garlic stir-fried veges (if not you should just close shop). The three cup chicken was only ok. I guess I was expecting the same as what I had in Taiwan, or even at Rose Tea Cafe in Pittsburgh, PA. Nevertheless, my expectations weren't super high since I was famished anyway. The flavor was there, but just wasn't intense enough. And the small claypot  was only 70% filled with food, which is like ?!?! No comments about the beancurd or spareribs. The fried rice was interesting, kind of like pineapple fried rice, but the portions were seriously disappointing, and I could have easily whipped it up in 5 min myself.

The shaved ice was not bad though, comparable to Satura next to Jang Su Jang in Sunnyvale. The mango puree and mango chunks went well with the shaved ice, which looked like frozen mango juice. 

If I were to return, it would be for the shaved ice (though at $7.45 for the small portion, I would just go to Satura).

I'm going home to cook myself my second dinner.

I know I sound bitchy here, but I'm just really overly disappointed by my underwhelming dinner =(


10074 E Estates Dr
Cupertino, CA 95014
(408) 996-2999

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please show respect to the blog owner and other commenters when leaving your thoughts.